Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Self-Regulated Learning


To seek or not to seek help in math this is a turmoil that has trouble me ever since elementary school. Coming from the private schools system and into the public school system as I entered the third grade was a total culture shock for me. And this is where my math anxiety started and would continue to plague me through junior high school at least that is what it was called back then and eventually this followed me to high school. When I was in high school there was a test named the proficient test that enabled you to exit high school it would be similar to the exit exam of today. There were three parts of this test reading, writing and mathematics I passed the reading and the writing but I failed the math part I had missed it by there points and this meant that I would not be graduating from high school  and this was devastating. But with the word quit not being in my D.N.A make up. And additional motivation coming from a man named Commodore Reid director of maintenance for Lynwood Unified School District, being friends with his two sons had said to me over that summer go back to school Curtis, pass that test and I will give you a job as a substitute custodian and from there you can work your way up. That September I went back to school on the five year plan as we called it after having been there the four previous years and I passed that test! And I received my diploma that following February I took it to Mr. Reid and he indeed kept his word and hired me. Over a twenty year span going from a substitute custodian to warehouse supervisor for Lynwood U.S.D I have learned seek help when help is needed and do not dare wait.

2 comments:

  1. I started reading thinking it was your history. Just a note, you may want to add a sentence near the beginning stating which behavior your story is about. It sounds like motivation. Other readers may not be sure. Edit and add a clear statement saying which behavior you're writing about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the behavior you are writing about is motivation. You spoke about taking the initiative to get help when you need it. Having the ability to monitor your progress would have been helpful here as well. If as a student you would have monitored your progress more closely, you would have anticipated that you would not pass the math portion of the test based on your passed struggles. Once you realized this you could have sought tutors and additional help from teachers prior to your exam. I'm glad you triumphed in this instance and now you know to seek help immediately. Waiting is not beneficial.

    ReplyDelete